Friday, June 02, 2006

I may be a philistine, but I smell orangey!

I've mentioned how my L'Ailee can't stand diet discussions, yet has to endure a lot of them because she works in a gym. She wouldn't be any better off in an office, and not just because having to dress conservatively and act all diplomatic and make small talk would probably kill her. I just heard a loud and uninteresting conversation about the supposed evils of "white carbs," right near my cubicle. Worse yet, I can't play music, because I've got lots of phone work today. I was so, so, so tempted to prairie-dog up (Dilbert readers will know what I mean), assume my "innocent" voice, and ask whether chocolate's acceptable, because it's clearly a brown carb. L'Ailee's really affected how I think in a lot of ways. I no longer think of any food as "bad" in moderation, and I start to get twitchy when people talk about food being "bad" or "good" or "sinful", or talk about whether they've been "bad" or "good" because of what they ate.

What I'm craving right now is oranges. Lander Essentials makes a knockoff of Philosophy's 3-in-1 (shampoo, bubble bath, body wash--and in our cases, also shaving cream), for, like, one-tenth of the price. The Juicy Orange is SO yummy. It's *really* orangey, too, not sweet or sugary. What could I pair with it besides my Florida-tourist-trap orange blossom perfume? And then I had to have fruity deodorant, so I put on Teen Spirit strawberry. I was afraid I smelled like the Tropicana plant exploded, but I've been getting sniffed at all morning, not least of all by L'Ailee. She thinks orange and Healing Garden Organics' Wild Honey, which also has floral notes, are my best scents. At least I don't have to shell out a lot of money to please her nose.

You see all the heavy stuff on my mind today. It's just as well that I let my mind calm down a little, though.

Yet I'm still reading.

New Fay Weldon book out!!!! L'Ailee and I love-love Fay Weldon! Once again, we're gonna be sharing a new book, and I'm going to have to make the "no wasabi peanuts, no chocolate, no dog-earing" promise.

As if our smart little panda-boy Tai Shan, who's been loving his new pool lately, isn't enough, the National Zoo also has new baby tigers! The tigers are a bit shyer than the pandas, but you can catch glimpses, especially at night.

And ohmyGawds, there are Su Lin checks, as in the little panda princess in San Diego!!! Proceeds go to the San Diego Zoo's panda conservation, too. I'm definitely getting these for my personal account, even though it'll be hard to write on her and her mother Bai Yun's sweet faces. That is probably just as well. :-)

In light of glass artist Dale Chihuly's copyright infringement suit, Slate decided to recycle an extremely vicious article claiming that his art is more commerce than "real" art. Glass is a very difficult material to work with--hot and heavy, yet fragile. Being a Pisces--and, I guess, a philistinic cretin--I remember being blown away by his show in Orlando a couple years back, particularly the Seaforms. See the man's work for yourself.

Great article on re-joining the world after dealing with depression.

A year after the Kelo v. New London Supreme Court decision, and after all the other plaintiffs have settled with New London, brave Susette Kelo is still trying to hold on to her house

The American Family Association started the Christmas controversy way early this year. That's right--they're trying to avoid persecution by "Happy Holidays" nice and early. But guess what? They inspired me to write my first article for Talk 2 Action, an anti-Christian Nationalism site. I'm sure more will follow.

Finally, you may also want to read their take on Left Behind: Eternal Forces, the video game. I take it personally not just as a non-Christian, but as a New Yorker.

8 comments:

TFLS said...

Well you just gave me my first really good laugh of the day! Smelling like a Tropicana plant exploded! Oh honey - that's sweet! And I love citrus smells too. Especially orange. Finding good perfumes that have that as the top note isn't easy. I love to know the name of what you are using. And I will check the bath stuff out. Right now my shampoo is fennel based - but I'm open to trying something different.

As for Chihuly - I am a huge fan of his work. It's beautiful. I would give anything to be able to afford one of his chandeliers. You know - I was watching a program that showed the glasswork in his home - wow! He has flowing water all through the house - like a river; and all that water flows over a magical glass seabed of anemones and coral of his creation. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Honey – if I ever get rich - I am hiring that man!

Hope you and your wife have a good weekend.

Jon-Marc McDonald said...

When I was a freshman in high-school I dated a girl who loved citrus fragrances. However she went a little overboard when she got hooked on the smell of vanilla. Having no job, she could not afford vanilla smelling perfumes so she started to apply actual vanilla from her family's cupboard. Her wrists and neck would be stained brown everyday and the kicker is it did not have the intended effect so instead of smelling like vanilla she just had brown spots on her body.

As for the AFA, what a joke! I loved your piece. Brilliant once again.

Keep well or keep happy,

Jon-Marc

Nonsequitur said...

LOL, I can relate to the whole diet discussion thingy too. I work with a bunch of ladies who are occasionally obsessive about their dietary intake. The tragic part is that most of them aren't the least bit overweight and they view themselves as cows.

Cool glasswork, thanks for opening my eyes to it (I live in a hick-town and I don't have cable, so I don't get exposed to things like that, haha).

Curious that you mentioned that (insightful) article on depression, I just wrote about the same subject.

Take care and peace be with you :)

LeLo said...

I know what you mean about the orange smell, real orange smell, not too sweet. LOL about jon-marc's vanilla loving ex: that's classic!

I like Chihuly's work: it's lovely and all, but I have this strange feeling he's going down the Thomas Kinkade route...***shudders****

The video game link? That is incredibly frightening: talk about targeting and going after children...hijacking youth with your agenda so blatantly is fricking sick sick sick.

Jaded said...

I wear citrus scents all the time. I love how clean and energizing that scent is! I like anything that just smells light and clean. I wear a scent from Bath and Bodyworks called Cotton Blossom that I like a lot. Also, Mary Kay had a fragrance called Sea Level that I LOVED. They don't make it anymore, so I've been reduced to buying it on eBay and stockpiling it away in the closet. Also, eating an orange for dessert after a meal during the summer is one of my all-time favorite things!

I was reading through the talk 2 action site and found a great article on what the Methodist church is really about. Those are the kinds of Christians I know, since I grew up in a Methodist church. I always felt like they taught us reasonable things, nothing extreme and isolated.

Jewels said...

Ahhhh, thank you Lilo, dearest.

Once again, I have no need whatsoever to fear becoming unhip, uncool, or uninformed.

The front porch remains my one stop shop to shake up my brain and make me think, again.

I so appreciate you.

You are, without question, my favorite "linkmistress extrodinaire"

I'm now off to find that orange stuff you mentioned.

Right after I gander the pandas...

And look at glass....

and.....

dondon009 said...

I love the citrus scents.... my favorite parfumeur, HOVE on Royal Street in New Orleans has some wonderful blends....

Check them out. I've been going there for years and exclusive as they appear to be, their prices are very reasonable and they have a great mail order business!

http://www.hoveparfumeur.com/

BostonPobble said...

Wow! I have so many thoughts running through my head right now...

First, I love your take on brown carbs. The part of me that doesn't have to work in your office with those people wishes you had indeed done the prairie dog (Scott Adams is brilliant) and asked. However, I know that I couldn't have done it myself so...

Second, like you, I gave up "bad" and "good" foods a long time ago. Now, food is food and I eat what I want. Just not four pounds of it. Why do we as women, as a society, feel the need to punish ourselves and be "bad" or "good?" But that's another post altogether.

Third, I envy your inexpensive scents! My signature scent is vanilla ~ only it's very difficult to find a vanilla that is decent. I shell out some serious cash for my good stuff. It's one of the few luxuries I haven't given up to the Great God Of Being A Poor, Broke Writer.

Fourth ~ A no-dog-ears-pledge??? You're a better woman than, I CrackerLilo. The chocolate and the peas I could suck up and manage but No Dog-Ears???? I'm not sure I even know how to read a book without dogearing it.

Fifth ~ I thank the Goddess everyday I know Christians who are also good people. Otherwise, I would be advocating the return of the lion den. *sigh*