Despite my fear-drenched last post, it's still summer, and there's still tons of good produce, and it's the weekend, and I'm alive, and I get to go paint soon! So. I can't improve on that. I can just be thankful, and hope other people get to share that feeling, and enjoy it. I can also share these recipes involving my beloved limes from Southern Living magazine.
Is anyone else still doing this? If so, just leave me a little note so I can see!
Prep: 15 min., Freeze: 8 hrs., Stand: 5 min.
2 cups blueberries
1/2 cup sugar*
1/2 teaspoon grated lime rind
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
3 cups diet lemon-lime soft drink, chilled
Garnish: lime rind twists
1. Process blueberries in a food processor or blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Add sugar, lime rind, and lime juice; process until well blended. Pour into an 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Stir in soft drink. Cover and freeze 8 hours. Remove from freezer; let stand 5 minutes.
2. Chop mixture into large chunks, and place in food processor in batches; pulse 5 to 6 times or until mixture is smooth. Serve immediately, or freeze until ready to serve. Garnish, if desired.
*1/2 cup of no-calorie sweetener (such as Splenda) may be substituted.
Per 1-cup serving with no-calorie sweetener: Calories 25 (0% from fat); Fat 0.1g (sat 0g, mono 0g, poly 0g); Protein 0.3g; Carb 6.2g; Fiber 1g; Chol 0mg; Iron 0.1mg; Sodium 0mg; Calc 3mg.
Yield: Makes 7 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 80(0.0% from fat); FAT 0.1g (sat 0.0g,mono 0.0g,poly 0.0g); PROTEIN 0.3g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 3mg; SODIUM 0.0mg; FIBER 1g; IRON 0.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 20.4g
Chili-Lime Grilled Corn
Prep: 15 min., Stand: 1 hr., Grill: 25 min.
Soak corn husks in a cooler of water before grilling to prevent the husks from burning.
8 ears fresh corn with husks
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon grated lime rind
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1. Remove heavy outer husks from corn; pull back inner husks. Remove and discard silks. Pull husks over corn. Cover corn with water; let stand 1 hour.
2. Stir together 1/2 cup softened butter, 1 tsp. grated lime rind, and 1 tsp. lime juice.
3. Drain corn, and pat dry.
4. Grill corn, without grill lid, over medium heat (300° to 350°) 25 minutes or until tender, turning often. Remove corn from grill. Carefully pull back husks, and tie with a leftover husk or kitchen string. Spread with desired amount of butter mixture. Sprinkle corn evenly with desired amount of chili powder.
Note: Stir 1/2 tsp. chili powder into the butter mixture, if desired.
Yield: Makes 8 servings