Friday, July 01, 2005

Periods and feeling OLD!

First, I refer y'all to this excellent, excellent, excellent rant about the indignities of menstruation. (I still think living with a woman who is also menstruating is worse than unsympathetic male consorts.) (But not by much).

Then let me tell you what I just told the Sweet Potato Queens' Message Board of Love.

I'm 31, my kid brother Dorkfish's 23, and my SIL Mrs. Dorkfish is 19, so there's your context.

Dorkfish and I are talking about new CDs we got, we want, etc. One of those is Sinead O'Connor's Collaborations, which we've both played way too much. (I'm actually in the mood for some hard-core hip-hop now, maybe some Cannibal Ox or Aesop Rock.)

So Mrs. Dorkfish cuts in and says, and I quote, "I like her first two CDs, you know, the one with 'Nothing Compares 2 U' and the Lion one? They're, like, classics."

Excuse the hell out of me?! She goes on. "Yeah, classics!" She goes on further to call Nirvana's Nevermind and the Cure's Disintegration "classics". She meant that they were "really good old CDs."

Okay, I know they're not current. I'm listening to current music myself--Cowboy Troy, Mos Def, Ciara, Missy Elliott, Big and Rich. But since when the hell are the CDs that I, again at *thirty-one*, got through high school with "classics"?!?!

Damn, I feel old. I'm just grateful that she's several states away from me and there's a place where I'm still considered "larva." Is there a sub-category for 19-year-old larva, too, maybe "slappable little heifers"?

I close with a few lines from Sinead herself, on the Lion one, who may have known what she was talking about when she was a not-so-sweet young thang in 1987:

"Young woman with a drink in her hand
She like to listen to rock and roll
She moves with the music
`Cause it never gets old
It's the only thing
That never gets old"

5 comments:

Cindy said...

I like Sinead's music too. But I have to be in the mood. Right now I'm listening to Jeff Buckley.
I want to be menapausal. I'm past ready.

Cindy said...

Nothing compares 2 U is the song that made me fall in love with Sinead, but I still like Prince's version better.
I wish I had that on cd, i think i'll have to go find it on ebay.

Pookie65 said...

Have no fear...one day Mrs. Dorkfish will be pushing a buggy through the market and she'll recognize a little diddy by Snoop or Eminem being played as "easy listening". Even worse this will happen to her in an elevator.

Classicm smassic. She'll nreak down in tears. Hopefully, you'll be there :-)

Jaded said...

I'm not much of a Sinead fan, actually. But I do like Nothing Compares 2 U...of course, I love Prince, so maybe that's why I love the song.

My period kicks my ass every time. I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, so when I actually get it, I wanna die. Or kill people. It's gonna make my busy, holiday weekend such a joy, let me tell ya. Lucky me!!

CrackerLilo said...

Oh ladies and gentlemen, I can't *wait* to offer Mrs. Dorkfish the kind of big-sisterly support her husband's come to expect from me when she gets to realizing she ain't a kid anymore....

Heheheheheheheheh....

Sorry, Jaded. I don't have PCOS, but I did have fibroids, so I can sort of relate. Every month for the past few months, there has been this one week when I wonder why I cared so much about keeping my uterus anyhow.

As y'all can see too, while Sinead is a staple around my home, I have a wide and varied musical diet. Nirvana and the Cure helped get me through school, too. So did Public Enemy and De La Soul.

Blessed be!