Monday, July 11, 2005

Quote of the day, and an "ally" who probably isn't.

From the Pridelets Files

"Most of the trouble in this world has been caused by folks who can't mind their own business, because they have no business of their own to mind, any more than a smallpox virus has." -- William S. Burroughs

Also, according to Wayne Besen, a gay activist, that horrible new study clearly means that "Bisexuality is Bullshit"

A quote:

"Personally, I have no problem with men who want to claim that they are bisexual. In fact, I really don't care if they want to date aliens, as long as they don't work to pass anti-gay laws.

Nevertheless, I have my reasonable doubts about true bisexulaity in men. Let's face it, every single one of the young guys I came out with when I was 17 who identified as bisexual are now exclusively gay. Claiming bisexuality was a convenient crutch in a terribly homophobic society.

I really do think that a few male bisexuals exist, somewhere. But I think that they are as rare as people who are truly ambidextrous. In our hearts, we know that most of the guys who claim to be bi online are closet cases who want nothing more than a naked man."


I responded there; in response to his begging post (and who does that remind some of y'all of?), I suggested that since he thinks bisexuality is fake, bis should send Monopoly money. I didn't expect him to like that. I wasn't disappointed.

Jayelle's incoherent response is typical of people who want to shut down debate. I never said I think her sexual orientation is fake.

Quite the opposite, I stated very clearly that I do beleive that many bisexuals exist, although the number of males may be overstated. I simply drew attention to a study she doesn't like and in response she elects to distort my words. I'll gladly accept the Monoply money, which is in line with such a phony and reactionary response. I expect more from JL than shallow attacks.


Incoherent, eh? At least I can spell his name right consistently. I was also clear and on-topic.

So I gave Wayne one last response (at least for now):

My response was coherent, in that it is on-topic and clear. I hope my responses elsewhere in this blog were as well.

It wasn't "phony", either. My anger at "allies" who really aren't is, in fact, quite real.

I am reminded of a bit in Falling Angels, by Tracy Chevalier, in which a maid to a women's suffrage activist is asked by one of her mistress' friends to donate money to their cause. She made hardly any money, like most Edwardian maids, but she thought it was a great cause. Then she found out that the suffragettes are only fighting for women of the higher classes to have the vote. She is justifiably angry that this woman who is actually furthering her oppression is acting like an ally, and clearly lets her know why her pennies are staying in her pocket. I felt a lot like that maid's real-life sisters must have when I read this blog, Wayne.

A charity does not have to benefit me directly to get any money from me--I have recently donated to the Antarctic and Southern Oceans Coalition. I also donate to other LGBT groups that truly remember the "B", such as the Point Foundation. However, I will not knowingly allow my own money to be used as a weapon against myself and my friends, and I'm not clear on whether that would happen if I donated to you or not.

Lastly, I echo your statements: I too have expected more. And I don't want to "shut down debate"; you have your opinion and I have mine. I am, in fact, giving you a debate.

Blessed be,
J-a-y-e-l-l-e

No comments: