Thursday, July 31, 2008

Pandas, NASCAR, and Music

It was an honor just to be nominated, but it turns out I actually can say I won this award! I've never gotten an award before. I don't even try for that. Hell, all I ever do is talk about pandas, NASCAR, and music. (My detractors will say that, and I go, "Yeah, that's what I like about it, too"!) Thank you kindly anyway, Kim.



With this awesome award, however, comes awesome responsibility. I must:

1. Put the logo on my blog.
2. Add a link to the person who awarded it to me.
3. Nominate at least 7 other blogs.
4. Add links to these blogs on your blog.
5. Leave a message for your nominee on their blog.

So here are my nominees. There are so many great ones in my blogroll, but I went for people who educated me (often without knowing it) and who don't think in terms of awards:

Alan at Lost In a World Awhirl, who took what workers at American auto plants have dealt with out of the headlines and made them "real" for me.
Watcher at Fundie Watch, where the absurdies of Christianism (not to be confused with Christianity) get chopped and screwed in style.
Dr. Deborah Serani, whose information about psychiatric matters is presented with clarity and humor.
Boston Pobble at Pobble Thoughts, who is not only a fun person, but who gives great insight into what a working writer's life is really like.
SWFreedomLover at WHAT IS GOING ON? A new favorite, with almost-daily updates on the latest in nanny statism.
Queers United, who not only tirelessly provides news updates of interest to the LGBT community, but actually means the *whole* community!
Casdok at Mother of Shrek, a mother of an autistic 20-year-old who uses her experiences to inform others.

And now to do a meme. I *never* do those things, but I like seeing how other people answer, so maybe they'll be intrigued with my answers, too. This one is from Natalia, and I was tagged by Vanessa. I'm not tagging you, either. Just show me yours if you're inspired by mine!

Basically, the idea is to tell the world 8 facts about your life that you find heart-warming or facts that cheer you up on dark days or some cheesy crap like that. It’s a way to make you feel good about your life, no matter what. The facts can be as random and seemingly innocuous as you wish them to be. I chose 8, because it’s my favourite number.

1. I saved two other kids from drowning before I was twelve.
2. This one's just sexy as hell, but it needs explaining and leads to others. Five summers ago, I learned why I have had three miscarriages. I had been in a duogamous relationship with a woman and a man, and wanted some clarity on that. I was in and out of the hospital with complications from uterine fibroids and needed nine pints of donor blood that year. Ex-Boy got angry at me when he learned that I'd never keep a pregnancy. But I feel like there is a reason why I did better than anyone expected after the second hemorrhage. I am donating nine pints of blood to "pay back the universe." I gave my fourth last week.
3. And Ex-Boy is some other woman's problem now.
4. And L'Ailee has the same blood type I do and has told me several times that she will donate to me whenever I want it. She told a surgeon that, too. Now *that's* clarity.
5. I can do most things as well with my left hand as with my right, and I can pick things up with my toes.
6. I can surf in a hurricane.
7. Through literacy programs and tutoring, I have helped 12 adults and three children learn that books are allies, not enemies.
8. I make really good pie crust and biscuits, and everyone who's tasted mine says so!

Oh, and if that wasn't enough, I got links. Of course.

Mary Foulk at About.com Lesbian Life counts down the ten worst lesbian movies. It gets worse than "Claire of the Moon," apparently. *shudder*

And a more pleasant countdown at About.com: the 90 Greatest Hip-Hop Albums of the 1990s.

Boycott Meditteranean bluefin tuna now so you can eat it later.

Names so weird that judges forbade them.

Here's a nice business opportunity for thoughtful atheists and Pagans. In the event of the Rapture, your pets will be left behind...

Tomorrow brings not only Lammas, but a total solar eclipse! Happy Lammas to all who celebrate, even if it does mean the beginning of August!

11 comments:

Queers United said...

wow i am really moved, thank you so much for nominating me =)

Dr. Deb said...

So honored. I learn from every blogpal. Everyone is brilliant in their own way to me.

Unknown said...

WOW, thanks for nominating me. Who would have guessed that my rantings would impact anyone.......*smiles*

NOW I get what your message was on my blog, and you can ignore the reply back which was "huh?" LOL

But hell, I can't think of 8 things that are feel good, uplifting, etc.........at least not yet. Then again, the things I can think of, most wouldn't consider uplifting....you'd have to have experienced what I have to understand how bad things CAN and DO give you good thoughts down the road.

However I can say that the most emotionally difficult and traumatic times of life have taught me so much about myself, and proved beyond any doubt for me that God/dess does exist, and to me that's been the most uplifting thing that has kept me going.

The only heroics in my life was this inner strength that came when my son was born that allowed me to raise him normally and not handicap him any more than his birth defect was.

I have much to be grateful for in my life, including some very good friends at the worst times who helped me stay strong. I now just try to pay that forward by doing the same for others when it's needed.

swfreedomlover
P.S. how come I have to use my google account all of a sudden to comment here? That's weird.

CrackerLilo said...

I don't know what the deal with Google is, but I'm glad you came anyway!

The not-so-fun "facts" under #2...I'm so embarrassed I spewed like that (it just gets on my mind every late summer since), but I did get good things from it. I learned *so* much.

BostonPobble said...

Oooo! Thank You! I'm really touched. {{{CrackerLilo}}}


Only I've never figured out how to put these on my blog permanently. :( Maybe Lithus can help once he gets home.

CrackerLilo said...

Blogger said that my blog "had the characteristics of a spam blog" and is "under review"!

Jesus please us. Of all the things I've been called, I got called a spambot not once but *twice* this week. I'd rather be called hellbound and stupid again. I'm just testing to see if comments work. I can't believe this!

I'm going to bed now. Even a spambot needs her sleep.

Casdok said...

Congratualtions on your award! And thank you so much for thinking of me.
You saved 2 children from drowning! Wow. Are you still in touch with them?

hotairfilter@sbcglobal.net said...

Congratulations!! I could, uh, use some help in the pie crust department..you know, if you ever feel the desire to post your recipe. And instructions.

Queers United said...

I wanted to show my appreciation for you nominating me, as well as give you a shout on my blog for the great work you do. I had in mind to do it anyways, as I am giving shouts to all my blogger friends and the ones on my reader list, but I figure no time like the present. Cheers.

planet trans said...

Congratulations Queers United for being nominated for such a prestigious award! Isn't that picture on cracker lilos blog awesome?

CrackerLilo said...

Thank you Queers United, and welcome new readers!!!! Why is it that whenever I get an influx of new readers and a complement on someone else's blog, I end up saying something hopelessly shallow and/or embarrassing? Oh, well.

Kelli, I'm glad you like the logo! I don't like a lot of modern Goddess art, but Josephine Wall's is excellent. That one is calming and energizing to me at once, just like the ocean itself. Before, my logo was adapted from a nude portrait of Sinead O'Connor, just to piss off some visiting fundagelicals. That one also inspired deep feelings, but my wife didn't care for it. ;-)

Casdok, I lost touch with one of the kids (moved a lot), but the other has been a friend of mine since we were all of three years old! We've always stayed in touch and never let each other get out of pocket for long. It took me a few years to understand that not everyone loved the water like I did, and I, um, usually tried getting him to go too deep when we were kids. That ended after I had to rescue him, that's for damn sure. Early in this blog's lifespan, I wrote up an entry about how he paid me back. It's funny...NOW.

Okiemunchkinsmom, I suck at writing recipes. One day I'll get really brave and put a video on YouTube. But one thing that never fails me is, "Make little crumbs with it."