It was an honor just to be nominated, but it turns out I actually can say I won this award! I've never gotten an award before. I don't even try for that. Hell, all I ever do is talk about pandas, NASCAR, and music. (My detractors will say that, and I go, "Yeah, that's what I like about it, too"!) Thank you kindly anyway, Kim.
With this awesome award, however, comes awesome responsibility. I must:
1. Put the logo on my blog.
2. Add a link to the person who awarded it to me.
3. Nominate at least 7 other blogs.
4. Add links to these blogs on your blog.
5. Leave a message for your nominee on their blog.
So here are my nominees. There are so many great ones in my blogroll, but I went for people who educated me (often without knowing it) and who don't think in terms of awards:
Alan at Lost In a World Awhirl, who took what workers at American auto plants have dealt with out of the headlines and made them "real" for me.
Watcher at Fundie Watch, where the absurdies of Christianism (not to be confused with Christianity) get chopped and screwed in style.
Dr. Deborah Serani, whose information about psychiatric matters is presented with clarity and humor.
Boston Pobble at Pobble Thoughts, who is not only a fun person, but who gives great insight into what a working writer's life is really like.
SWFreedomLover at WHAT IS GOING ON? A new favorite, with almost-daily updates on the latest in nanny statism.
Queers United, who not only tirelessly provides news updates of interest to the LGBT community, but actually means the *whole* community!
Casdok at Mother of Shrek, a mother of an autistic 20-year-old who uses her experiences to inform others.
And now to do a meme. I *never* do those things, but I like seeing how other people answer, so maybe they'll be intrigued with my answers, too. This one is from Natalia, and I was tagged by Vanessa. I'm not tagging you, either. Just show me yours if you're inspired by mine!
Basically, the idea is to tell the world 8 facts about your life that you find heart-warming or facts that cheer you up on dark days or some cheesy crap like that. It’s a way to make you feel good about your life, no matter what. The facts can be as random and seemingly innocuous as you wish them to be. I chose 8, because it’s my favourite number.
1. I saved two other kids from drowning before I was twelve.
2. This one's just sexy as hell, but it needs explaining and leads to others. Five summers ago, I learned why I have had three miscarriages. I had been in a duogamous relationship with a woman and a man, and wanted some clarity on that. I was in and out of the hospital with complications from uterine fibroids and needed nine pints of donor blood that year. Ex-Boy got angry at me when he learned that I'd never keep a pregnancy. But I feel like there is a reason why I did better than anyone expected after the second hemorrhage. I am donating nine pints of blood to "pay back the universe." I gave my fourth last week.
3. And Ex-Boy is some other woman's problem now.
4. And L'Ailee has the same blood type I do and has told me several times that she will donate to me whenever I want it. She told a surgeon that, too. Now *that's* clarity.
5. I can do most things as well with my left hand as with my right, and I can pick things up with my toes.
6. I can surf in a hurricane.
7. Through literacy programs and tutoring, I have helped 12 adults and three children learn that books are allies, not enemies.
8. I make really good pie crust and biscuits, and everyone who's tasted mine says so!
Oh, and if that wasn't enough, I got links. Of course.
Mary Foulk at About.com Lesbian Life counts down the ten worst lesbian movies. It gets worse than "Claire of the Moon," apparently. *shudder*
And a more pleasant countdown at About.com: the 90 Greatest Hip-Hop Albums of the 1990s.
Boycott Meditteranean bluefin tuna now so you can eat it later.
Names so weird that judges forbade them.
Here's a nice business opportunity for thoughtful atheists and Pagans. In the event of the Rapture, your pets will be left behind...
Tomorrow brings not only Lammas, but a total solar eclipse! Happy Lammas to all who celebrate, even if it does mean the beginning of August!