Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Haitian earthquake help

I wanted to blog about sillier things, and will later. The earthquake in Haiti is weighing heavy on my mind, though. I practiced the Vodoun religion for a few years, alongside European Paganism, because it worked well with the environment in Florida. It still influences me, and I still have two good Haitian-American friends in Florida who are hurting horribly right now. I'm glad they're here and not there. Haiti already had such massive problems and was still recovering from last year's hurricane. Communications systems are down, of course, but TTG aid flights can land at the Port au Prince airport.

So even though these have been posted all over, I'm going to put some information together.

The US State Department has a toll-free number to get information about relatives in Haiti:

1-888-407-4747

The website Ayitinou serves Haitians worldwide. It has up-to-the-minute information. Not surprisingly, it is getting a lot of visitors.

The International Red Cross is getting supplies and other assistance ready to go now. If you text "HAITI" to 90999, a donation of $10 will be automatically given to the Red Cross, charged to your cell phone bill.

Doctors Without Borders is treating victims.

Yele Haiti is a relief organization started by Haitian-American rapper Wyclef Jean. Text "YELE" to 501 501 to donate $5 instantly.

They do not need clothing or construction supplies at the moment, but those needs are coming.

1 comment:

lightfeather said...

The Haiti situation touches each of us more than anyone can imagine. We as humans are only as strong as our weakest link. We owe it to the chain to be connected. Thank you for caring so deeply. Oh, and BTW... I'm back :-) come visit me again.